Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 20:14:26 -0600
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, Valentin Chopov <valentin@valcho.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CURRENT is freezing again ...

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 10:27:39PM +0100, Soren Schmidt scribbled:
| It seems John Baldwin wrote:
| >
| > 1) What revision of sys/kern/kern_synch.c do you have?  I fixed several things
| > yesterday, and the latest version is 1.108.
|
| 1.108
|
| > 2) If you do have the latest version, have you compiled a kernel with WITNESS,
| > INVARIANTS, and INVARIANT_SUPPORT to see how it runs?
|
| Have those in too...
|
| It still cant compile a kernel, it hangs itself in ~30 secs, no messages,
| no hints, no nothing, the machine just locks up solid as usual..
|
| Mind you the same machines run 4.2 and PRE_SMPNG without a hitch...
|
| > Also, I have noticed that occasionally on my SMP boxes the console seems to
| > lose itself.  By lose itself, I mean that all output stops, and it doesn't
| > process any input.  If I hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to break into the debugger, it
| > suddenly catches up and processes all pending events before dropping into teh
| > debugger, but hangs again when I continue from ddb.  However, the rest of hte
| > machine works fine during this time.  I can ssh in, build kernels, reboot, etc.
| > without any problem.
|
| It has been like this almost since the SMPNG stuff vent in, at least on all my
| -current machines...

I had those problems too a while ago on a UP p3-650 laptop.  Finally I just
newfs'ed the machine and installed the 20001028 snapshot, then cvsupp'ed
to 20001122.  The laptop now works well.  What I saw was processes
forking and forking again until the machine runs out of memory and
swap.  I think it may be some old libraries left over from
upgrades and make world.