Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:14:09 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        John Krueger <jkrueger@atipa.com>
Cc:        Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>, Questions FreeBSD <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD GW vs Router

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, John Krueger wrote:

	One of the limitations of the Linksys/Netgear or other Ethernet to
Ethernet router boxes is that they have a limited amount of ports you can
redefine compare to FreeBSD/Linux boxes.  Linux has a feature similar to
sygate where it does triggered port mapping so it listens for specific
outgoing ports and automatically determines which machine on the internal
LAN sent the request for incoming packets.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin