Date:      Thu, 12 May 2005 11:08:58 +0200
From:      Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@netlab.nec.de>
To:        Sergey Matveychuk <sem@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: mod_perl2 API changes

--Apple-Mail-78-142785944
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

On May 12, 2005, at 11:03 , Sergey Matveychuk wrote:
> Lars Eggert wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the list! Note that some other ports that do not
>> explicitly list mod_perl2 as a dependency include code that uses
>> it  if installed. These will also break. Based on my own
>> experience, this  includes at least www/twiki and devel/cvsweb3.
>> I'm sure there are  others, but I have no clue how to identify
>> them all.
>
> I'm not sure it's right. The ports will not work if they use
> mod_perl2 but have no depends on it.

They do, it's perl. These ports contain code that says "if mod_perl2
installed, use it, otherwise, just use perl." (Remember that
mod_perl2 at a very basic level is a performance improvement that
reuses spawned perl interpreters in apache. Perl CGIs run fine
without it, just slower.)

The problem is that while the mod_perl guys changed the API to *use*
mod_perl2, they did not change the API to *test for it*. Hence we're
in a nice pickle: The test for mod_perl2 succeeds, but then the calls
to it fail.

Lars
--
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories

--Apple-Mail-78-142785944--