Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 07:42:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD manual

In a previous message, Doug White said:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Paul T. Root wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > 	I'm setting up the amd automounter and was wondering what kind of
> > things I can put in amd.map. It seems that the only thing that would
> > explain it is SMM:13, but I can't find it on-line (I guess I'll call
> > Computer Literacy :-), but in the mean time, is there any online manual.
>
> The System Manager's Manual section 13 is encumbered by copyrights, but
> you can view a Web version of it under http://www.freebsd.org/ in
> Documentation...somewhere. :)

Unfortunately, it's not there (http://www.freebsd.org/de/docs). It has some of
the chapters online, but not amd (chapter 13).

It's ok though. I did get an answer from Jose Alcaide. Thanks, Jose!
That got me going. And I've ordered the SMM manual from Computer
Literacy.

BTW, Computer Literacy doesn't have the whole set BSD manuals anymore.
One of the programmer manuals is out of print. So a word of warning if
anybody has been thinking of these books. I have a complete set from
BSD4.2 (or maybe 4.3), but amd shows up in 4.4.

> > Is there a way to set up auto_home (from Solaris) like thing?
>
> Did you try `man amd' and checked the cross-refs?

Yeah, I followed everything, but there wasn't much there.

I've got what I need now. I'm on to writing a perl script to grab
users from Solaris' passwd/shadow combination and putting it into
FreeBSDs passwd/master.passwd (then pwd_mkdb, of course). And also
to convert auto_home to an amd map. Integrating a FreeBSD desktop
into a solaris desktop group is fun. It's going remarkably well.

Paul.

--
   No pig should go sky diving during monsoon
   For this isn't really the norm.

   No pig should go sky diving during monsoon,
   It's risky enough when the weather is fine.
   But to have a pig soar when the monsoon doth roar
   Cast even more perils before swine.