Date:      Mon, 04 May 2009 22:21:29 +0200
From:      Philipp Ost <pj@smo.de>
To:        Steve Polyack <korvus@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11 <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Radeon 9250 DRM in 7.2-RELEASE

Steve Polyack wrote:
> I upgraded my workstation (via source) to 7.2-RELEASE from 7.1-RELEASE
> about a day ago.  After the upgrade procedure, I'm having no luck with
> using DRM in X11.  It worked fine before and gave reasonable
> performance.  Now when I start up X with DRI enabled, both of my screens
> display garbage.  The mouse pointer is also not visible.
>
> I'm using a PCI Radeon 9250.  I can get more details if necessary.  I
> can also try to revert the kernel DRM module code to 7.1.
>
>  From dmesg:
> drm2: <ATI Radeon RV280 9250> on vgapci2
> vgapci2: child drm2 requested pci_enable_busmaster
> info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.29.0 20080528
> info: [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
> info: [drm] Loading R200 Microcode
> info: [drm] writeback test succeeded in 2 usecs
> drm2: [ITHREAD]
>
> Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

I'm using a AGP Radeon 9250. Ever since I enabled direct rendering I get
similar notifications in dmesg:
info: [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
info: [drm] Loading R200 Microcode
info: [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs
drm0: [ITHREAD]

$ glxinfo | grep rendering
direct rendering: Yes
$

I'm running 7.2-Prerelease (i386) from May, 1.

BTW: hald is not running here, I tweaked my xorg.conf as per the entry
20090123 in ports/UPDATING.

HTH,
Philipp