Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:43:11 +0200
From:      Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        NAKAJI Hiroyuki <nakaji@tutrp.tut.ac.jp>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -CURRENT freeze under high load

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 11:27:42PM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:
> I would try removing apm from your kernel config or disabling ACPI and only
> using one or the other and seeing if that helps.

That was my feeling, too. In the end, it appears the problem is rev 1.8 of
dev/acpi/acpi_powerres.c. Just reverting that fixed my problem (it wasn't fun
to find that, anyway).

To summarize my problem: this commit

dfr         2001/10/04 01:32:18 PDT

  Modified files:
    sys/dev/acpica       acpi_powerres.c
  Log:
  Use return_PTR, not return_VALUE when returning pointers.

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.8       +3 -3      src/sys/dev/acpica/acpi_powerres.c

causes my Thinkpad 570E to completely freeze under load.

I've just updated to -HEAD with this delta reverted and running a make
buildkernel right now.

Bye,
	Andrea