Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 00:20:01 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        David <david@bitch.inducedreality.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fatal trap 12

At 0008 -0700 8/28/2002, David wrote:
>Well, I crashed my machine again doing a buildworld.  I can keep doing
>this as long as I can keep providing useful information. ;)  Hell, I can
>even set up a script to do a buildworld every night if anyone wants to
>look at the info.
>
>I'm attaching the latest stuff I'm seeing.  This time I did not get a
>fatal trap 12.  I'm much more confused about the error message this time.
>Anyone have any ideas?

I had similar problems a couple of years ago.  buildworld would hang
in different places every time.  I finally got it to work by letting
it run for an hour, then control-Z it to let it stop awhile and then
continue on.  By doing that for many hours I got the buildworld to
complete successfully.  Someone here then suggested down clocking the
processor as that was a frequent problem with the processor I was
using.  I did that and it has run fine since.
--
-- Doug