Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 06:24:21 -0400
From:      Paul Chvostek <paul@it.ca>
To:        Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: General questions

> Hi all,

Hi Rob.

> This is my first running install of FreeBSD, so be gentle :)

Congrats.  ;)

> I have 4.3 RELEASE running on a DEC Alpha, and I'm trying to install some of
> the ports (mutt, postfix etc).  I seem to be getting old versions of the
> software that aren't on the servers anymore.  I am aware that CVSup will
> update the ports tree, but doesn't that also update the rest of the system?
> Can I make CVSup only retrieve the ports?

Indeed you can.

As others have mentioned, you can run cvsup manually.  But the I find
the easiest way to make this stuff go is to copy a few lines from your
/etc/default/make.conf into your /etc/make.conf.  Here's an excerpt
from mine:

SUP_UPDATE=     yes
SUP=            /usr/local/bin/cvsup
SUPFLAGS=       -g -L 2
SUPHOST=        cvsup.ca.FreeBSD.org
SUPFILE=        /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
PORTSSUPFILE=   /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
#DOCSUPFILE=     /usr/share/examples/cvsup/doc-supfile

Then, To update full source AND ports, cd to /usr/src and `make update`
(that is, assuming you've installed the "base" component of /usr/src).
And to update *just* the ports tree, cd to /usr/ports and `make update`.

If you want to grab only certain directories in the ports tree, you can
edit the file pointed to by PORTSSUPFILE as per the instructions in that
file.  You will want to ping a number of different cvsup mirrors to find
one that's closest to you.

--
  Paul Chvostek                                             <paul@it.ca>
  Operations / Development / Abuse / Whatever       vox: +1 416 598-0000