Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 1996 12:27:53 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        Thomas J Balfe <tbalfe@falcon.tioga.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Micropolis, again

> gryphon: {3} scsi -f /dev/rsd0 -m 1
> AWRE (Auto Write Reallocation Enbld):  0
> ARRE (Auto Read Reallocation Enbld):  0

     You might want to try enabling these.

     Of course, if your drive really is on the way out, enabling these
will only postpone the inevitable.  I once used a Fujitsu 2624FA that
developed bad sectors.  Enabling AWRE and ARRE helped, but more and more
bad sectors appeared.  I finally gave up and drop-kicked the drive.

     If you're interested, I've got a perl script around somewhere that
reads out the table of remapped sectors from SCSI drives (assuming that
AWRE and ARRE are enabled, of course).

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.