Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 1995 14:14:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      jake@ibmPCUG.CO.UK
To:        Barnaby Ng <barnaby.ng@canrem.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Fatal code=5888

> Help, I got a fatal error while trying to install FreeBSD 2.0 from
> the Walnut Creek CD. Hardware:-
> - Adaptec 2842VL (> 1GB bios translation enabled)

> The installation program let me partition and assign my drives, but
> when I proceed, it gives me the following message:-

> Fatal
> Exec (/stand/newfs) failed, code=5888

Aha!  I had this same message with 950202,
I have a PCI AHA2940.

Trying using the 950210-SNAP it sort of works for me.
the sort of means that I have a boot problem which is
being worked on (Thanks Justin!)

Your best bet would be to install without scsi from the CD
then grab the sys.a? kernsrc stuff from the latest SNAP and rebuild

Regards,
Jake Dias
PC User Group