Date:      Sun, 7 May 2000 16:20:11 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "Alexander Frolkin" <alexander@frolkin.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel build number in 4.0-STABLE

>> I've built three kernels now, using the new 'make buildkernel
installkernel
>> KERNEL=<YOURKERNEL>' method, but the kernel build number isn't
incrementing:

>> FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE (PANDORA) #0: Sat May  6 19:12:20 PDT 2000
>>
>> Anyone else seen this behavior?

>It's because buildkernel cleans out the build directory before building.
You
>could use -DNOCLEAN, but I'm not sure if this would have any side effects.

Is there an *official* kernel build method that increments properly? I
assume that the 3.x manual method is depricated now...

If the ''make buildkernel installkernel' method is indeed the new, improved,
preferred method, is there any plan to get this working correctly?

It's no big deal, I'm just curious...

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor