Date:      Wed, 02 Apr 2003 09:01:03 -0600
From:      Peter Schultz <peter@jocose.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing Sendmail

Terry Lambert wrote:
> Peter Schultz wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I hope that core will approve removing sendmail from FreeBSD-CURRENT.
>

> I'm pretty sure they will, just as soon as someone provides
> patches to make installed base system components like sendmail
> into "preinstalled packages", and then steps up and makes some
> other MTA and MSA able to be installed by default instead, so
> that things like "/etc/daily", "/etc/weekly", and so on can
> still send an email to the local "root" user upon completion.

Why not just have these logged by default instead?  Like /var/log/daily,
and whatnot.  Anyone with half a care about this stuff can easily make
their own modifications, those who don't care will never know the
difference.

On a simple installation where the user is careless, these e-mails are
spamming roots mailbox.  Imagine the hundreds if not thousands of
ignored messages.

> PS: This comes up every time a sendmail CERT advisory happens,
>     but then no one provides the necessary patches to make email
>     continue to work with sendmail deinstalled, or the package
>     files to allow it to be deinstalled and replaces easily.

I'm sorry for beating a dead horse.  A guy and I from tcbug were just
trying to fix his postfix installation, he does not know what happened,
it just stopped working.  There would not have been a problem if
sendmail wasn't tied into the system so closely.  I'm just hoping core
will say, "submit a working solution and it will be done," so that
there's a little inspiration here.

Pete...