Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 18:42:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Frank Tobin <ftobin@uiuc.edu>
Subject:   RE: Disabling FTP (was Re: Why not sandbox BIND?)

FreeBSD, at 15:45 on Sun, 21 Nov 1999, wrote:

> I disagree, partly anyway, I think it IS important to disable any and all
> potential security risks AND have the documentation tell them how to turn
> them on and what the implications of that would be. Better docs? You bet,
> great idea. Blurb in the MOTD? Sure, sounds great! Security has always been
> one of the best things about FreeBSD, lets not screw it up by enabling
> things that can compromise that. We don't have new users install BIND 8.1.2
> and TELL them to patch to P5, we just compile 8.2.2-P5 on install instead.
> Why would we enable the holes and just tell them to disable them?

The bind example is not a good one, as there is not a difference in
functionality; the primary point that I think that the person you were
replying to was that new users need functionality instead a
non-functionality in their new box.  They expecting certain things to be
there when they install a box, such as telnetd, ftpd, and sendmail.  These
daemon's are not holes, as you state; they are access points.

I feel the best solution overall is to make this an option upon
install.  Something in the likes of "enable standard internet services?",
with a blurb _there_ about the implications of choosing/not choosing the
option.

--
Frank Tobin		http://www.neverending.org/~ftobin/

"To learn what is good and what is to be valued,
those truths which cannot be shaken or changed."  Myst: The Book of Atrus