Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2013 18:21:45 -0500
From:      Steve Kiernan <stevek@juniper.net>
To:        Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Proposal for changes to network device drivers and network stack (RFC)

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 00:07:06 +0100
Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd> wrote:

> On 17 Jan 2013, at 22:53, Steve Kiernan <stevek@juniper.net> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 22:11:27 +0100
> > Andre Oppermann <oppermann@networx.ch> wrote:

> >> This is quite some work and a lot of changes which will a moment to review.
> >>
> >> Can you describe the concept and the terminology you're using here some more?
> >> What is a netstack module and what is its scope?  How does it relate to VNET?
> >> What is an IOCGROUP? etc.  All this is probably obvious to you but not yet for
> >> us.
> >
> > Sure, not a problem. First, I will repeat here what Anu sent out previously as a description of the netstack changes.
> >
> >> Today, not compiling networking stack related files in the kernel breaks
> >> the kernel build due to dependencies the OS has on the network stack
> >> (calling into functions in the network stack). Network stack module isn't
> >> there. We've added these in JUNOS. The benefits for us are obvious (we can
> >> load our own version of network stack if we desire!), but most likely this
> >> functionality will benefit others too.
> >>
> >> The detailed implementation is indicated later in this email. In short the
> >> changes are:
> >>
> >> - Load network stack as a module. For now via loader, not dynamically
> >> loaded. (Is there interest in dynamic loading?).
>
> I speak only for myself but I think dynamic loading would avoid a lot of trouble with/for people who don't read UPDATING carefully and forget to adjust loader.conf...

By default, the network stack is compiled into the kernel. This is so functionality isn't changed by default, but building the network stack as a module is supported.

So, unless someone wants to replace the network stack (and thus compile a kernel without networking), they get the network stack be default.

This is what I added the NETSTACK option to DEFAULTS.

One would need to use "nooptions NETSTACK" to turn it off.

--
Stephen J. Kiernan
Juniper Networks, Inc.