Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 02:05:07 -0500
From:      Vamsi Nath <quasar@vamsi.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem after upgrading from 2.2.6 to 3.0-stable

I recently upraded from FreeBSD version 2.2.6 to 3.0-stable. I was able to
successfully download the sources  through cvsup and install using make
aout-to-elf (build and install). However after rebooting in 'single-user'
mode, using 'boot -s' at the boot prompt, I get the following errors after
I attempt to log in:

/usr/libexec/ld.so: warning: /usr/lib/libc.so.3: minor version -1 older
then expected, using it anyway
ld.so failed: bad magic number in "/usr/lib/libc.so.3"

Then it just brings me back to the login prompt. I was able to boot up by
choosing my old 2.2.6 kernel at the boot prompt, but then I was unable to
get to my /usr partition.  I tried the following commands to no avail:

fsck -p
mount -u /
mount -a -t ufs

Is there any way to recover my /usr partition or am I just screwed? I can
get the 3.0-release on cd, so reinstalling the OS wouldn't be a big deal.
However, I'd like to figure out what went wrong so I can prevent this from
happening in the future. I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks,
Vamsi Nath
quasar@vamsi.net