Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 2009 10:49:32 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        yuri@rawbw.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why so many ports still depend on firefox-2.X.X.X ?

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 10:37:13 -0500, Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com> wrote:

> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>>> I see that ImageMagick, gimp, gimp-apps, inkscape, gnucash, etc depend
>>> on firefox-2.
>>>

>> I don't see that at all.  What makes you say that?
>>
>> None of those programs seem to have firefox on their dependency lists in
>> the ports system, and I don't remember using a browser with any of them.
>>

> I see this when I run this command:
>
> $ pkg_info -R firefox-2.0.0.20_7,1
> Information for firefox-2.0.0.20_7,1:
>
> Required by:
> ImageMagick-6.5.1.1
> gegl-0.0.22_1
> gimp-2.6.5,2
> gimp-app-2.6.5_1,1
> gimp-gutenprint-5.1.7_1
> gnucash-2.2.7_2
> gnucash-docs-2.2.0_3
> inkscape-0.46_5
> librsvg2-2.26.0
> swt-3.4
> yelp-2.26.0
>

> There is something in the install process that causes these dependencies
> to be created.
> I have ports updated with portupgrade.

Looks like it's because of other ports depend on librsvg2 that depends on
firefox. You can change librsvg2 to depend on libxul (same engine that
firefox3 uses) if you want to. Or even you can disable mozilla plugin in
librsvg2. I think it should be disable by default since a lot of open
source browsers already have SVG support.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
mezz7@cox.net  -  mezz@FreeBSD.org