Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:41:53 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are the advantages of ELF kernels?

Mark Ovens wrote:

> Wes Peters wrote:
> >
> > I have two desktop machines, a SPARCstation 5 and a PII 266 running
> > FreeBSD.  I still prefer the SPARCstation because it has a better
> > keyboard, but prefer FreeBSD to Slowlaris for everything else.  Plus,
> > the FreeBSD machine is a LOT faster than the SPARC 5.  ;^)
>
> I'll agree with the observation about the keyboard. Sun do a converter
> to allow you to use a PC keyboard with a Sun, shame they don't they do
> one that does the opposite :-(.
>
> FWIW, my K6-233 with FreeBSD 2.2.8 is lot faster than my Sparc10 (SunOS
> 4.1.3_U1), bith with 64MB. Mind you it's not a fair comparison, what was
> a top of the range PC when Sparc 5 & 10 were top Sun workstations?.
> That's the comparison you'd have to make.

My home system is a K6/233, and it's a nice quick little beast too.  It's
faster at some things than the PII/266, and slower at others.  It also
has a very nice keyboard made by NMB, say 95% as good as the Sun Type 5,
but I can't find a local dealer that stocks them anymore.  <Sigh>

> BTW, as you're a Sun and FreeBSD user, do you know if it's possible to
> map the function keys in FreeBSD to perform the functions of L2 - L10
> (don't really need L1 ;-) ) on a Sun Keyboard?

In what?  Most window managers will let you bind keystrokes to actions,
and it's certainly easy to do in Emacs.  ;^)

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                     +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                  wes@softweyr.com