Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 2015 00:27:15 -0400
From:      "John D. Hendrickson" <johnandsara2@cox.net>
To:        x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Motif 2.0 - 2.2 with panner working nice + automake %100 complete

http://sourceforge.net/projects/motif250/

new non-virtual panner (old virtual one was removed before 2.1+ release)

NEW pan with keys (no panner GUI)
NEW drag single windows

pans better than gnome grid panner or (xrandr/X11 virtual) ? far as i
can remember yes.

%100 complete automake ./configure - ready to remake project (ie,
running libtool does not break it) , and demos are not broken :) panner
is also %100 optional. should be CDE compatible or is easily so. yes
works with X virtual desktop too.

code was not mangled to add panner: no new files, just a new function
placed back in, a few adjustments to panner.

but there's new motif !? yes but motif 2.3.4 does not support 2.1.30
applications anymore (ie, perhaps and older ddd bin). for libXm.so.2.0
still need motif-2.2 around (especially if they continue to hack in
(more) non-compat changes in Motif 2.3+)

Non-Virtual panner is a small function that would work with about any
window manager ever made, if placed into a callback for that wm, and
panner(1) is just a widget which is a UI for using it. is %99 X11, just
has to listen to X for a message for panner calling, is all.

I could be wrong about new gnome still being stuck with full page only /
grid panner.

Sure it's a greedy app plug however: I thought it's worth meantioning
because

1) easy to compile Motif anyone needs that

2) non-virtual panner could be added to enhance any wm project pretty quick

3) non buggy, and size is not related to video memory - even less so
than fvwm

4) xrandr like X11R6 Virtual i believe eats video memory and is limited
by hardware (same code base), has no GUI i heard of yet , and many are
dumping hardware problems getting it to work and or restricted to area.
that is what i understand so far.

xrandr --panning 1600x1280 is still very small. 6000x4000 would be small
for fvwm :)  especially for people like me with no infinite government
budget !