Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2003 00:49:10 +0100
From:      Clement Laforet <sheepkiller@cultdeadsheep.org>
To:        Eric Masson <e-masson@kisoft-services.com>
Cc:        wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl
Subject:   Re: adding crypto support to GENERIC

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:52:18 +0100
Eric Masson <e-masson@kisoft-services.com> wrote:

>  >> Are there any of those left ?
>  Wilko> France ?
>
> Use of cryptographic devices seems to spread quickly these days in
> France, Laws have been seriously softened in this area, but I don't
> know for sure actual status.

If my memory serves me right, you can't use a key stronger than 128 bits
except for software and uses authorized by the DCSSI. OpenSSL and GnuPG are
authorized (thanks to France FSF):

OpenSSL > 0.9.6d => SSH, SSL, SSH/SSL encryption
GunPG > 1.0.7 => file/communication signature and encryption

Are exempt from authorization:
- Customised smart cards
- Television reception equipment for the general public
- Hardware or software means specially designed to protect software against copies or illegal use
- cryptology equipment used in bank transactions
- Portable or mobile radio telephones for civil applications
- Cell phone radiocommunication base stations
- Cryptology equipment accompanying foreign dignitaries when officially invited by the State.

French:
http://www.ssi.gouv.fr/fr/reglementation/regl_crypto.html
http://www.ssi.gouv.fr/fr/reglementation/liste_entr/f28.html
http://www.ssi.gouv.fr/fr/