Date:      Sat, 13 Oct 2018 10:26:15 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: freebsd packages going the debian way!

>>> So in this case, you are much better _not_ using the package
>>> (where the default building options don't fit your needs
>>> or expectations), and go with "make configure", select
>>> only the stuff that you _actually_ want, and then run
>>> "make install".
>Linuxism

As a Linux user I should chime in. In my experience, at least when
using Linux, it requires less user maintenance when building an empty
dummy package, that fakes to provide an unneeded dependency. On Linux I
usually build such dummy packages for at least gvfs and pulseaudio.
However, it's just a minority of Linux developers, who make optional
dependencies idiotic hard dependencies.

Btw. apart from some major desktop environments and some other software,
it's usually possible to get in contact with Linux software upstream and
usually upstream is willing to correct such issues.

Since I'm using a Linux distro that follows upstream to the good and
the bad, take a look at this:

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Si fetchmail | grep Dep -A2 | head -3
Depends On      : openssl
Optional Deps   : tk: for using fetchmailconf
                  python2: for using fetchmailconf

Python is an optional dependency, not a hard dependency. The OP doesn't
experience a "Linuxism". If the FreeBSD package makes it a hard
dependency, than get in contact with the FreeBSD's package maintainer,
since the FreeBSD package is incorrect.