Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 1996 21:48:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      James Magnuson <magnuson@bcs.rochester.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   restoring boot blocks after Win95 install

Hi.  I posted a message a couple of days ago.  I recently
installed Windows 95 and managed to make FreeBSD inaccessible.

I got a few encouraging messages with some suggestions for
how to proceed (for which I'm grateful), but nothing specific
enough for this novice to succeed in restoring FreeBSD.

I've searched the ftp and web sites (where I found lots of
requests for help similar to mine, but, unfortunately, no
replies!), and here is where I am now:

I've made image copies of the boot and fixit floppies.  I can
boot and navigate the menus as far as putting in the fixit
floppy and entering repair mode.  So I have a prompt, but no
idea how to proceed.  The only documentation I can find for
repair mode simply warns that some system administration
experience is required.

Could someone with sysadmin experience give me some advice?

Thanks very much in advance,

Jim Magnuson

ps -- I don't have the CD ROM, as FreeBSD was installed on this
	machine when I bought it 2nd hand.  I'm currently trying
	to decide whether to continue with FreeBSD or install
	Linux.  Can anyone point me to a document comparing the
	two?  Thanks again!