Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:15:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        perlsta <bright@cygnus.rush.net>
Cc:        "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inode / exec_map interlock ? (follow up)

:
:I've noticed that the 'old' swapper or system seemed to leave a LOT of
:swap still used en it wasn't trully needed.  The new system seems to
:reclaim these regeons as soon as they are swapped in.  I've noticed the
:new swapper is a bit more 'peppy' but i'm concerned that it is dooing what
:John says.
:
:What's the deal here?  Matt, even though your swapper lists pages as
:'free' does it actually keep them around for reuse?  What happens when a
:page is READ faulted in, is the backing swap kept allocated to save on IO
:later?

    The new swapper fixes a bunch of things, but the main thing you are
    probably seeing is the on-the-fly reallocation of swap backing store when
    swapping out dirty pages and the semi-on-the-fly deallocation of swap
    backing store when a page is dirtied again.

    The async I/O swamping problem is so minor it's hardly worth 4 hours
    of flying felder carp.  It took 5 minutes to fix once someone ( other
    then John ) figured out what the problem was.  It should be noted that
    the original code was documented *solely* as solving a low memory lockup
    condition.  It said absolutely nothing about limiting parallel I/O.
    Anywhere.  In fact, in a large-memory configuration the original code
    *wouldn't* limit the I/O load because it was scaled to the free page
    margin rather then scaled to I/O load.

    What a complete and utter waste of time.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>

:One other thing, I has some trouble getting to sleep last night and
:decided to venture into src/sys/vm, the comments are VERY helpful.  The
:kind of documentation going on here will really help people get into
:systems programming, it is MUCH appreciated.
:
:-Alfred
:
: