Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 100 16:25:39 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        leif@neland.dk
Subject:   Re: traceroute using tcp to a port?

> If I understand correctly, traceroute works by sending pings with ttl=1,
> ttl=2,ttl=3 etc and records the names of the routers where the ttl reaches
> zero.

	No, traceroute send UDP messages by default.

	Doing a traceroute with TCP (it has an option, -P tcp) can
be really useful if you can use a fixed port. I made a trivial change
to traceroute that allows you to specify a fixed port by using a
negative number. For example, traceroute -P tcp -p -80 will do
a "TCP SYN traceroute" for port 80. Comparing this output with
a normal traceroute to the same destination (or a traceroute for a
different TCP port) you can detect HTTP transparent proxies,
man-in-the-middle attacks, policy routing, etc.

	I sent a patch to the traceroute development team but received
no answer :-(.

	Perhaps it could be committed to FreeBSD? I work for an ISP
and the feature has proved to be really useful!

	Borja.