Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 20:24:51 -0500
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why StarOffice continuously restarted setup - the answer

Hi,

A while ago I tried to install StarOffice and had
a problem that every time I tried to start it it went
into setup again and again. I've asked about this
in -hackers and found that some people had the same
problem but nobody has a solution. Well, I've found that
solution today and in case anyone else hits that problem,
here it is: I'm using the July '99 4.0-SNAPSHOT and
in that snapshot reading /proc/NNN/cmdline returns
a line with '\n' on the end. StarOffice tried to open
a file with that name (its own code) and, of course, failed.
Removing that '\n' in procfs fixed the things. One
more catch is that the StarOffice bin directory must be in
the path, otherwise the same problem follows.

Both of these problems seem to be already fixed in -current.

-SB