Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:15:37 +0100
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@freebsd.org>
To:        Jesse McConnell <jesse@gallup.com>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.java.mk

All,

I'm working on a combination of 2 documents and a completely revised
bsd.jva.mk. The goal is provide one document for system administrators and
one for port writers. It should explain the bsd.java.mk in detail. The new
bsd.java.mk should do *exactly* what these documents claim.

Major change in the new bsd.java.mk is that you can specify the JDK you want
to use in 4 ways:
* by specifying a minimum Java version, e.g. USE_JAVA=1.2+
* by specifying an exact Java version, e.g. USE_JAVA=1.4
* by specifying a Java port, e.g. JAVA_PORT=java/linux-ibm-jdk13
* by specifying a JDK home directory, e.g. JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.3.1

I intend to have this ready on Monday and then present it to
java@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD and then to portmgr@FreeBSD.org after that.

Ernst

--
Ernst de Haan
EuroNet Internet B.V.

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ