Date:      Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:14:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        silby@silby.com
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Fixing "Slipping in the window" before 4.11-release

On  3 Jan, Don Lewis wrote:

>         /*
>          * If a SYN is in the window, then this is an
>          * error and we send an RST and drop the connection.
>          */
>         if (thflags & TH_SYN) {
>         	if (tcp_insecure_syn == 0)
>         		goto drop;
>         	else {
>                 	tp = tcp_drop(tp, ECONNRESET);
>                 	rstreason = BANDLIM_UNLIMITED;
>                 	goto dropwithreset;
>         	}

Writing and posting while sleepy is not a good thing.  The braces are
unbalanced and the else after the goto drop isn't necessary, so just
adding
		if (tcp_insecure_syn == 0)
			goto drop;

in the obvious place would do the trick.

This is probably the same section of code that would need to be modified
to implement the behaviour recommended in the Internet Draft.

A new version of the draft was release in November, but I haven't had a
chance to look at it yet.  It is at:
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-02.txt>.
There was a presentation at an IETF meeting about the issues relating to
the Cisco IPR claims:
<http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/04aug/slides/tcpm-4/>.