Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 21:17:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        brian@Awfulhak.org (Brian Somers), winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd), tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), arch@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: Software detection of link integrity

> >> I did this entirely for sppp, but it applies fully to any other
> >> interface: an ethernet should remain configured but remove the
> >> routes if the cable is unplugged.
> >
> >No, I think the aim here is to keep the routes but to adjust them so
> >that they're via an interface rather than an IP number, something
> >like:
>
> We should not keep an route to a net which is down, that is just wrong,
> and defeats the pupose of routing daemons like gated/zebra etc.

What about a dial on demand device that is transiently connected
to the Internet, either through an integrated Analog or ISDN modem?

If the route is down, then the link traffic can not be monitored,
and if link traffic can not be monitored, then the idea of "demand"
can not be implemented.

One must be able to have a default route to a "tun0" device for a
downed PPP dameon.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---