Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 1996 16:32:55 +0100
From:      kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph P. Kukulies)
To:        hanai@astec.co.jp (Hiroyuki Hanai)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: linking against linux libs.

Hiroyuki Hanai writes:
> Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> > The question came up here (since CERN currently doesn't supply
> > support for their CERNLIB under FreeBSD) whether it would be possible
> > to link against linux libraries.
> >
> > Would that be possible? Or is there a way to convert these libs
> > to FreeBSD ones?
>
> I don't know whether it's possible, but...
>
> > Otherwise I fear that the Pentium Pro I have acquired here has to
> > run under, sigh, Linux.
> >
> > I'm thinking of porting the libs to FreeBSD though (sources are
> > available) but with the recent talkings about random and seed....
> > No, kidding aside :-)
>
> I was in KEK(High Energy Physics lab. in Japan) and working on
> Elementary particle physics until this March and was using CERNLIB
> on my FreeBSD(and BSD/OS) machine ;-)
>
> According to my experience, porting CERNLIB to FreeBSD is not difficult!
> Almost all source files(which are written in Fortran) are compiled
> using f2c and gcc with no change and if you needed to change them,
> it would be very easy.

yes, f2c/f77 would be my approach as well. They are using an ugly source
code management system though they recently changed to CVS (!).

But they use imake - ick. And I didn't find their templatefile yet.

> Also, many C source files can be compiled with no difficulty.
> I think there is one difficulty, which concerns the dynamic loading
> of shared libraries, but it will be no problem if you have some experiences
> about it.
> Another problem is paw++ because it uses the Motif library. If you want to
> port paw++ to FreeBSD, you should buy Motif library.

Underway - ordered from xinside last friday. Didn't want to upload the stuff
to thud :-)

> Now, I am not physicist and the sources of CERNLIB is not available
> because of CERN's License, so I cannot make patches for you. Sorry.

I have the sources on my workbench now. Though the suggested method of
un-aring the libs seems to me attractive as well.