Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:06:25 -0500
From:      "John R. Martz" <jrmartz@ibm.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux versus FreeBSD???

I just want to thank everyone who took the time and had the patience to
respond to what I'm certain (in hindsight) is a very annoying question. I
do appreciate your responses and I did learn from them. I'll probably go
try this again only on Linux list time.

HOWEVER! I'll try to be much more careful how I word the question. <g> I'm
very glad this didn't turn into a flame war as that is certainly NOT what
I'm looking for. (I sort of want to install FreeBSD now just because you
have all been so decent and ... dare I say? ... mature about this. <g>)

BACKGROUND (as if anyone might actually care :)
Because of the pace at which the h/w is changing, I have my main "utility"
PC ... a Cyrix P150 running Windoze '95 ... and also an "ancient" IBM
Valuepoint with a 486-DX which currently is a "pet rock". So I'm thinking I
should try to DO something with the pet rock and installing FreeBSD or
Linux sounds like a good opportunity for personal growth. (I'm having one
of those ... "You know you're really a geek when ..." moments).

Since this would not be a production system and would be just the single
PC, maybe Linux makes more sense. But I don't have to rush into this so I
try to actually take some time to think about what I'm doing before doing
it (but just this once ...)

One problem is that the ancient 486 box has an IDE controller that won't
support a hard drive larger than around 500MB (currently has one WD 340MB).
And to think it was once a fairly competitive piece of h/w ??? <g> Anyway,
it's a toss up whether I try to just upgrade the controller and hard-drive
or throw in the towel and try to get a new motherboard.

Once again, thank you very much for your comments.
Life is a very patient tutor. If you don't learn a lesson,
it just keeps on  repeating it until you finally catch on.