Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 1997 10:40:49 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some forgotten submits

> Wolfgang Helbig stands accused of saying:
> >
> > May I ask you to review some of my proposals/fixes? Most of them
> > don't seem to be *that* important to the FreeBSD project and thus
> > are gathering dust while being ignored by you. But even getting
> > *some* feedback like `leave us allone with that crap' is better
> > than nothing :-(.
>
> Ok, let's take the one I might have something to do with :
>
> > bin/4064: History search in libedit is broken. E. g. sh(1) uses
> >           only the first letter of the search string for matching.
>
> I can't reproduce the problem as you describe it in the PR :
>

>              Enter the following commands to get a history.
>              # sh
>              # set -o vi
>              # lll
>              # llll
>
>              Now hit the escape key to enter the vi commands, enter
>              /llll, to search for the last occurence of the string `llll'
>              in the history. Depending on whatever, the shell will show
>              you the command `llll', which is correct, or beep at you,
>              which is wrong.  Hit the `N'-key to repeat the search, the
>              shell might show you `lll', which is wrong, it should beep
>              at you instead.
>

> Following your instructions I get 'llll' and then a beep, which is, as
> you indicate, correct.  This is on a 2.2 system.
>
> Do you know if your libedit is pre- or post- the NetBSD-sourced changes?

It is post the NetBSD changes and this buck was introduced into
libedit with the following commit: (to /usr/src/lib/libedit/search.c)

revision 1.5
date: 1997/06/25 08:14:17;  author: msmith;  state: Exp;  lines: +30 -29
Update libedit with changes from NetBSD.  Includes history load/save,
some buffer overflow guards and some stylistic cleanups.
Also adds manpages.

As it says in the log file for search.c, in RELENG_2_2_2_RELEASE
you still have revision 1.4 i.e. you should not see the bug.

In the meantime a clearer description of the error came to my mind:

Only the first letter of the search argument is considered for matching
the search target.

Thanks for looking at it anyway :-)

Wolfgang