Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2007 22:26:45 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Travis Mikalson <bofh@terranova.net>
Subject:   Re: Any successful installs on a Broadcom HT1000 chipset?

--nextPart2444793.9LFjqCKKDy

On Wednesday 21 November 2007 12:24:14 pm Travis Mikalson wrote:
> Freddie Cash wrote:
> > On November 21, 2007 04:26 am Barney Cordoba wrote:
> >> It would be a major
> >> black eye to the project to say "FreeBSD 7 is
> >> released, but BTW, if you have a supermicro or tyan
> >> opteron system it won't work at all".
> >
> > The HT1000 is only 1 of the Opteron chipsets available from Tyan, and
> > it's only available on their 1 socket boards (the Tomcats).  The dual-
> > and quad- socket boards either use AMD or AMD+nVidia chipsets (Socket
> > 939/940), or nVidia chipsets (Socket AM2).  Out of their entire lineup,
> > the HT1000 makes up maybe 10% of the chipsets used by Tyan.
> >
> > I'd hardly call that a "black eye".  And it's only the onboard SATA
> > controller that has issues.  Pop in a proper RAID controller, and it's =
no
> > longer an issue.
>
> Hate to sound like a broken record but that's exactly what I did and I
> ran into the same nasty data corruption problem on that controller, too.
> That was a little frustrating.
>
> atapci0@pci0:2:3:0:     class=3D0x010000 card=3D0x11ab11ab chip=3D0x60811=
1ab
> rev=3D0x09 hdr=3D0x00
>      vendor     =3D 'Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd)'
>      device     =3D 'MV88SX6081 8-port SATA II PCI-X Controller'
>      class      =3D mass storage
>      subclass   =3D SCSI
>
> I don't want a hardware RAID or a "software RAID" controller, I just
> want normal SATA ports with no RAID so I can use ZFS :)
>
> I find myself much preferring ZFS to any other data management solution
> I have ever used, including 3ware hardware RAID which was my previous
> favorite.
>
> Another thing I haven't tried yet is a 3ware 9500 series PCI-X
> controller in my HT1000 board's PCI-X slot to see if that's also broken
> or if it's just a PCI-X + ata(4) specific problem.
>
> I'll reply with the result of that when I get to trying it out.
>
> >> Someone was complaining 2 years ago that they didn't
> >> have hardware to do the work. Is the FreeBSD project
> >> really so poorly funded that they can't get their
> >> hands on a $150 motherboard for 2 years?
> >
> > Ever considered sending one in?  :)
>
> I am considering it. Are any reputable FreeBSD developers interested in
> this problem that could benefit from having the problematic hardware in
> their posession?

I'm in the middle of retiring nearly a dozen supermicro socket AM2 boards w=
ith=20
this chipset.  With the SATA controllers in native SATA mode the disks get=
=20
scribbled on horribly.  With the SATA controllers in legacy mode FreeBSD=20
detects them as ATA/33 but they seem to hold up a bit better.  Under heavy=
=20
I/O load they will stay up for about a week before panicing, although once=
=20
they do panic they double panic and hang solid.  I thought I was going dodg=
e=20
swapping platforms by installing 3ware 9550 RAID controllers but I all I=20
managed to do was reduce the panic rate to about once per month per box, so=
=20
there are gremlins that affect more than the onboard SATA I'm afraid.  I've=
=20
attempted to work with at least one FreeBSD developer on a fix, but the=20
inability of the boxes to complete a panic, let alone write a crash dump ha=
s=20
made troubleshooting them incredibly painful.  (Sometimes they don't even=20
manage to get the entire first line of the panic string on the console)  Th=
e=20
fact that they will stand up for days under heavy I/O load doesn't help=20
either.  Intermittant problems suck.

=2D-=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB