Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:26:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Mr. K." <bsd@a.servers.aozilla.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hackers?

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 08:31 PM 9/19/99 -0400, Mr. K. wrote:
> >I've just recently upgraded to sendmail 8.9, as my host was being used as
> >a mail relay.  I think I am now under some kind of attack.  When I do a ps
> >-x I get the following listings:
> >

> They (the spammers) are probably still trying to relay off you.  Make sure
> your server is indeed setup to block unauthorized third party relays, and
> then contact AOL and inform them one of their users is trying to abuse your
> resources.
>
> Look through your maillogs and verify they are indeed being rejected.

I think I figured out what is happening.  The relaying is indeed getting
denied, but unfortunately some of the spammers software is waiting blindly
for a positive response (and thus keeping a connection until they time
out).  My choices seem to be ipfw (which I don't want to do as I don't
want to block all aol users), or somehow getting sendmail to disconnect on
a "relaying denied" (instead of sitting there until they timeout).  I
can't figure out how to do the latter (doesn't seem to be possible).  And
of course calling AOL and bitching, at least that will feel good if I can
get a bunch of these spammers booted.

Sep 21 15:17:23 a sendmail[3421]: PAA03421: ruleset=check_rcpt,
arg1=<tackinq@yahoo.com>, relay=98A89A1C.ipt.aol.com [152.168.154.28], reject=550
<tackinq@yahoo.com>... Relaying denied
Sep 21 15:17:59 a sendmail[1445]: OAA01445: from=bihungstud@aol.net,
size=0, class=0, pri=0, nrcpts=0, proto=SMTP, relay=98A7D5DA.ipt.aol.com
[152.167.213.218]
Sep 21 15:18:12 a sendmail[3438]: PAA03438: ruleset=check_rcpt,
arg1=<tformwoa@yahoo.com>, relay=98CB0B15.ipt.aol.com [152.203.11.21], reject=550
<tformwoa@yahoo.com>... Relaying denied