Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 00:06:26 -0300
From:      "Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira" <lioux@uol.com.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   fxp vs xl: should I buy 3c905B or wait for a Intel PRO 100+

Hi,

	This might be a bit out of topic. Perhaps, more than a bit.
Hence, the long subject so that ppl won't waste much time over it.
	I am in the process of acquiring good 100MB network cards
for a local home network.
	I was aiming for Intel PRO 100+ due to the good histories
heard on -questions and -hackers. Specially, about the fxp driver.
	However, I cannot find any here. Nor any of the Intel PRO
cards (VE/+/B) except S models which are overkill (not to mention
over budget).
	One store promissed me to have a quote perhaps in 2 weeks.
After the quote, I would have to wait another 2-3 weeks for the
cards.
	However, they have the 3Com 3c905B ready for a buy. I've
used those in the past, they are ok. I've never used any Intel.
	Will I miss much if I acquire the 3com instead of the Intel?
Do both work with upcoming "zero copy"? (read that I run -STABLE;
therefore, upcoming :) I probably won't be able to find better
cards around (specially for about US$70 here), so other exotic
cards are not an option.
	Or, should I sit tight? I am using some loaned 10Mb Realtek
for the time being.  (well, do they do the trick ... :(

	Regards,

ps: I am not subscribed, so CC: please if you reply.

--
Mario S F Ferreira - UnB - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
lioux at ( freebsd dot org | linf dot unb dot br )