Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 18:37:32 +0200 (CEST)
From:      luigi@info.iet.unipi.it
To:        fred@veriohosting.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: changed pci bus probe order from 3.2 to 4.0 -- ideas?

> The problem is that the cards get swapped.
> It's a long story as to why switching cables, or changing which card gets
> which IP address isn't really a good solution.  The short answer is that

i suppose the only place where you use the actual card names
is the firewall config and rc.conf -- can't you just make these
scripts fetch the ethernet address of the card(s), set a shell
variable with the name of the good card, and go ahead with that ?

I did something similar in picobsd to make the same floppy recognise
the hardware on different systems. Something like (in /etc/rc):

    n_ether=""
    for main_if in `ifconfig -l` ; do
	set `ifconfig $main_if`
	while [ "$1" != "" ] ; do
	    if [ $1 = "ether" ] ; then
		main_ether=$2
		break 2
	    else
		shift
	    fi
	done
    done

At which point $main_ether contains the ethernet address of your
first ethernet interface and you can base decisions on that...

	cheers
	luigi