Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 06:13:13 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1011269594.831536@mired.org>
To:        Holt Grendal <holtor@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/bin/mail & Maildir

Holt Grendal <holtor@yahoo.com> types:
> Is there anyway to make /usr/bin/mail read mail
> from a qmail Maildir?

Nope. mail has the Unix mailbox format wired into it.

> Im guessing not so then would there be a replacement for
> /usr/bin/mail that would support Maildir?

There are so many replacements, and they've been around for so long,
that I'm actually boggled that anyone is still using mail as an MUA.
Many of those replacements support Maildir. The one I use doesn't, but
it does support POP, so I just run the pop server that comes with
qmail. That will work for most MUAs.

> I been looking around all over and no luck yet.

Try looking in /usr/ports/mail. Not everything there is a mail reader,
but there are more than I can name. I don't think any of them are
drop-in replacements for /usr/bin/mail, but that's because
/usr/bin/mail is incredibly primitive.

If you really need a drop-in for /usr/ports/mail, contact me off-list
and we'll talk about it.

> Qmail Users: any ideas? TIA!!

If you must use mail, consider Cliff Sarginson's suggestion of a
script. Qmail comes with two such scripts, elq and pinq, for use with
pine and elm. Note that there is no script for mail - probably because
Dan didn't think anyone would be using it.

	<mike