Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2007 13:21:08 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pf starts, but no rules

--nextPart3854547.1VjC9hEsdI

On Saturday 10 February 2007 22:05, Dan Langille wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Yesterday I rebooted a server to load a new kernel.  After the
> reboot, the firewall rules were not loaded.
>
> $ grep pf /etc/rc.conf
> pf_enable=3D"YES"
> pflog_enable=3D"YES"
> pf_rules=3D"/etc/pf.rules"
>
> I never checked for the rules until today and found this:
>

> [dan@nyi:~] $ sudo pfctl -sa | less
> Password:
> No ALTQ support in kernel
> ALTQ related functions disabled
> FILTER RULES:
>
> INFO:
>
> Hostid: 0x36eae8cf
>
> State Table                          Total             Rate
>   current entries                        0
>   searches                         5515422           76.6/s
>
> etc...

> [dan@nyi:~] $ sudo pfctl -f /etc/pf.rules
> No ALTQ support in kernel
> ALTQ related functions disabled
> [dan@nyi:~] $
>
> After loading, pfctl -sa shows the output I would expect.
>
> Ideas?  Suggestions?
>
> Is anyone else using PF with a pf_rules specified?
>
> FWIW, I notice I have one host identified by FQDN in my rules.

Check "dmesg -a" for error messages.  The FQDN is indeed one possible=20
cause.  Other causes include dynamically created interfaces used in "set=20
loginterface" or "set skip on" or as an address, but not surrounded=20
with "()".

One possible sollution that has been suggested would be to use a simple=20
deny all but ssh/dns ruleset in the first stage and load the real ruleset=20
once all interfaces are there and the resolver is working.  I'm willing=20
to commit patches, though this is probably something best discussed on=20
freebsd-rc@

=2D-=20