Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:59:02 +0200
From:      Nelis Lamprecht <nelis@brabys.co.za>
To:        Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Gnome Mail List <freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: browsing networks

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 00:00, Simon Barner wrote:

> How is the browsing performance that you get? I am on a 95% Windows
> network here (~ 50 clients, "organized" as a workgroup (!) due to the
> incompatibility of the various windows variants and due to the fact that
> this is a student hostel here which is administrated on a volunteer
> basis. We use a samba server as master browser and WINS server).

I use Samba on a 800+ client multi-domain network and authenticate via a
trusted domain. The actual listing of Workgroups etc is instant but when
it comes to listing the contents of a share with a large amount of
files/directories it can take awhile. When this occurs I just use
smbclient from command line which is fast.

> Neither Nautilus nor my local samba installation seem to cache the list
> of available host, shares on a host, etc. browsing is extremely slow
> (but it does work). Concerning Nautilus I verified that when I had a look
> at the source code of the  gnomevfs-extras module where I found
> according comments. I don't know whether samba-libsmbclient (which is
> used to implement the smb:// protocol) is supposed to do some caching.
>
> Does anyone know how to speed up things a little bit, or is it possible
> that I am suffering from a misconfiguration?

For me a probably configured WINS server with the various domains listed
as static mappings did the trick. I also listed the domain/servers I
connect to regularly in my /etc/hosts file. One thing I've noticed with
the past few versions of Nautilus is that smb has become case sensitive
and unfortunately you can't connect to hidden($) shares. Maybe someone
knows how to do this ?

If like me you do support for windows users then you wouldn't rely on
Nautilus though I'm sure future versions will have a lot better support
for smb. In the mean time tightVNC is your friend.

Nelis