Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 14:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, jas@flyingfox.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which PCI Ethernet card is best for FreeBSD-current?

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <9023.875816283@verdi.nethelp.no>, sthaug@nethelp.no writes:
> >> On the other hand, the only quad cards I know of are based
> >> on the DEC chip; I'll be trying out the Znyx quad card (I think) soon.
> >
> >We have the ZNYX 4-port 10 Mbps card, and the SMC 2-port 100 Mbps card
> >in a FreeBSD machine here. They work very well for us.
>
> I have a machine with 4 of the ZNYX boards (16 ports total) doing the
> "collapsed backbone" thing.  Works like a charm, and in difference
> from a cisco that would cost 10 times as much, you can run tcpdump
> and trafshow on it :-)

  I would have liked to have been able to use a solution like that.
However, currently ethernet interfaces that do not have carrier/link
active, still show us UP.  I wish that loss of carrier/link would force
the interface into a DOWN state automatically.  I realize this would
require some driver changes.

  Why do I want this?  Because I can tell remotely that a particular
interface is properly connected, rather to try to figure out ping'able
systems on that segment.  Also, this would work very nicely with gated.
Gated will automatically stop advertising routes to a DOWN interface.
This is needed if you want to have multiple connections to a network, as
you don't want to advertising a route to a failed interface, when other
router(s) may still have an active connection to that network.

> --
> Poul-Henning Kamp             FreeBSD coreteam member
> phk@FreeBSD.ORG               "Real hackers run -current on their laptop."

Tom