Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2012 16:14:50 -0500
From:      dweimer <dweimer@dweimer.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ZFS / Boot Environments / Jails / Upgrading form Source Code

I have been playing around with different build layouts etc trying to
come up with a plan to make updates smoother and more easily recoverable
if it goes horribly wrong.  I think I have almost figured things out,
just have a couple things left to figure out, one of which I am hoping
someone on this list can help em out with, to save me some trial an
error.

Steps already figured out, mount new boot environment (using 9.1rc2 to
test with) in /usr/jails/release91rc2, added the necessary settings to
rc.conf, started jail, so far so good.  I now know I can run the boot
environment from within the jail, stop the jail and begin the upgrade
from source.

First step replace the usr/src within the jail with new source using
svn, easy enough.  Then start make buildworld... oops, I have a problem
now, the usr/obj/usr stuff is now under
/usr/obj/usr/jails/release91rc2..., However I want it to be under
/usr/jails/release91rc2/usr/obj/usr.

 From looking at the usr/src/Makefile  It looks like I need to set the
MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/jails/relase91rc2/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp environment
variable, but is that the best solution here?
There's also a /usr/obj/lib32 directory (system is running amd64, I
assume this is for 32 bit libraries), so I would likely need to do
something here as well, that I haven't gotten to yet.

I know the /usr/obj/usr directory can be deleted after the installation
of the source, does the same go for the /usr/obj/lib32 directory?  if so
perhaps it is a better option to make a new zfs data set outside the
boot environments to mount under /usr/obj directory, let the default
prefixes handle which sub directory to use, and just delete the
directories when I am done working with the boot environment.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer