Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 05:18:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      robert Backhaus <robbakfreebsd@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Windows as opposed to Other OS's

> > However, the best choice is Windows, and that is not
> > changing.  Nobody outside the community of geeks uses anything
> else.
> >
> > > So, what it comes down to is: Use whatever
> > > you are most comfortable with, no matter what
> > > anyone else tells you.
> >
> > Yes.  What the geeks never seem to understand, though, is that
> > everyone else is comfortable with Windows (except for a handful who
> > prefer the Mac).
>
> At this point, I think one of the big reasons that everyone seems to
> be
> using Windows has much to do with awareness.  I believe most average
> users are not even aware that there are viable alternatives to
> Windows [snip]
 Regarding your comment, "...the best choice is Windows, and that is
> not
> changing."  While it may be true that a majority of people are using
> Windows, I do not believe that it is always the right choice.
> Neither
> do I believe that the status quo is not changing.  Further, on your
> comment, "What the geeks never seem to understand, though, is that
> everyone else is comfortable with Windows."  Again, this may only be
> true due to a lack of awareness.  I think that most people could
> easily [snip]

There is no question about superoirity - technically, we have one of
the best. We share that with the rest of the BSD Stable, and we could
have a nice long holy war about Linux.
Most of us apreciate the benifits, and spend the time to set ourselves
up with a good BSD Desktop. But if we counted the time we spent, spend
and will spend on it, at any resonable rate, we could not do it for
less than the purchace price of a windoze os, which will often install
while you have a cup of tea, or maybe a 5 course `cullinary
experience'.
So windows continues to be the comercial desktop system, until we and
the rest of the BSD/GNU world gets good support from the hardware
manufacturers. That is SO another topic.
For servers, no question. Most of us could learn the os AND configure
it for less than the Licences. For internet structure, I'll change my
tune when the 13 root name servers are running Advanced Server. But for
the desktop, too much work. Fun work for us, but work. Once Configged,
Brilliant! Groggy Leigh et al are doing great work with instant
workstation ports, which may evolve into something like a desktop
distrubution, which might get dangerously similar to a redhat distro.
Linux is better along for a desktop OS, but Redhat et al have make that
their buisness model, and good on them. The developers of FreeBSD are
still sysadmins and such, so FreeBSD has developed along the server
lines. A great example of this is removable disk mounting.
I'm in XP right now - My cannon printer has defied me still, my brother
doesn't think much if mkisofs | burn cd to make disks, mum preferres
windows' solitare. Such are the trials of life. I would like to regain
the first gig of my drive.
This has stretched past the first screenfull, which reduces the signal
to noise of this post a little to much, but I'll post it anyway.