Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 2015 16:15:57 +0200
From:      Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Jeffrey Bouquet <jbtakk@iherebuywisely.com>, x11 <x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dejavu fonts question

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 16:00:18 +0200
Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 04:17:17AM -0700, Jeffrey Bouquet wrote:
> > xorg-fonts-truetype needs x11-fonts/dejavu.   This latter port
> > breaks all the menus on Opera, here. As well as wikipedia pages...
> > which then need to be viewed with Seamonkey.
> >
> > [pkg delete -f dejavu, if I had known earlier, would have saved me
> > over twenty-odd hours of debugging ]... As it is, I've restored
> > Opera functionality but cannot install vimb, chromium, etc because
> > of the dependency.
> >
> > Workaround or removal of the dejavu port from the
> > xorg-fonts-truetype one?
>
> The issue is on the Opera side, and from what I can read out there
> has been fixed in Opera 24+ while we are still in Opera 12.16.
>
> DejaVu is quite a common font now, it would be bad imho to remove it
> from the truetype list of fonts.

You can change the fonts used in Opera's menus by using qtconfig
(assuming you're using the QT version of it) and in general you can
change fonts under Tools->Preferences->Fonts (I'm using DejaVu Sans
there without any issues by the way, maybe it's an xserver issue/dpi
or another setting).

--
Michael Gmelin