Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 22:10:08 +0930
From:      Ian Moore <imoore@picknowl.com.au>
To:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
Cc:        bsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question on CVSuping ports for first time on a system

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002 08:27, Salvo Bartolotta wrote:
> Ian Moore <imoore@picknowl.com.au> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I've got a query about CVSuping the ports collection for the first time=
 on
> a system. According to
> /usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/cvsup-advanced/examples.html yo=
> should use  *default tag=3D<shipping-date-of-your-release> for the firs=
> CVSup to create the ports checkouts file.
> I used tag=3D2002.06.11.09.02.00 for 4.6-R, so my cvsup file looked lik=
> *default tag=3D2002.06.11.09.02.00
> #*default tag=3D.
> *default host=3Dcvsup.au.FreeBSD.org
> *default prefix=3D/usr
> *default base=3D/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default release=3Dcvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
> ports-all
>
> When I tried that, cvsup deleted all my ports. Obviously this is not ri=
ght!
> The example cvsup file in /usr/obj/examples and the Handbook don't ment=
ion
> this at all, they just say use tag=3D. for the ports collection.
> Using tag=3D. seems to work correctly.
>
> I'm just wondering, is that correct, or should I do something else the
> first time?
>
> ***********************************************************************=
****
>**
>

> Hello Ian,
>
> I am the author of the article.  I am sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> I wrote:

> Since ports are tagged ``.'' (ie -CURRENT), you can correctly ``sync'' =
them
> for the first time by adding the date keyword (cf cvsup(1) for the exac=
> format): you should specify a date as close as possible to that of
> ``shipping'' of your ports tree.
>

> That is, ports _are_ tagged ``.'' (``tag=3D.'' the period being essenti=
al),
> and you _add_ a date field (date=3D<some_suitable_date>).
>
> In other words, for the first sync operation, you retrieve the current
> branch of the Ports collection, as of a specified date; you specify a d=
ate
> close to that of "shipping" of your ports tree.
>
> The reason for this paranoid approach is found at
> http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/faq.html (see Q12, Q13,
> Q40).
>
> I hope this is less cryptic. :-) However, an explicit practical example
> should make the section clearer and better.  Thanks for pointing this o=
ut.

> Regards,
> Salvo

Thanks for replying Salvo.=20
So, in order to avoid possible problems, I ought to delete my ports tree =
&=20
reinstall form the CD, delete the cvsup file I now have and then run CVSu=
p=20
again, using a modified cvsup file like:
*default tag=3D.=20
*date=3D2002.06.11.09.02.00
*default host=3Dcvsup.au.FreeBSD.org
*default prefix=3D/usr
*default base=3D/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default release=3Dcvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
ports-all

Does that sound right?

Cheers,
Ian