Date:      Sat, 20 Dec 1997 10:18:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Penisoara Adrian <ady@warp.starnets.ro>
Subject:   Re: sd0: MEDIUM ERROR

Penisoara Adrian <ady@warp.starnets.ro> wrote:

> -- excerpt from /var/log/messages --
> Dec 18 22:57:01 ady /kernel: sd0: MEDIUM ERROR info:0x36e823 csi:a,f2,2,62 asc:11,0 Unrecovered read error sks:80,70
> Dec 18 22:57:04 ady /kernel: , retries:4
> ------------------------------------

>  Sould I assume that my current harddisk (Quantum VP32170S 'plugged into'
> a AHA2940AU) is good just to hold (at most) the squid-swap from now on ?

Yep, that's a message from the disk itself, so it should be unrelated
to the controller.

Make sure to turn on automatic read and write error correction (ARRE/
AWRE), on mode page #1.  See the man page for scsi(8).

>  Could this be related with some sudden reboots I experienced lately (no,
> my UPS didn't scream about power problems) ?

Normally not, except you've also got complaints about VM subsystem
failures caused by the disk fault.

--
cheers, J"org