Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 2009 09:50:37 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Chris H <chris#@1command.com>
Subject:   Re: ACPI Error: A valid RSDP was not found 20090521 tbxfroot-309

On Tuesday 08 December 2009 7:06:18 pm Chris H wrote:
> Greetings,
>  I am receiving the following in dmesg (verbose) during boot in 8-RELEASE (GENERIC)
> cvsuped 2009-12-08 @1am:
> ACPI Error: A valid RSDP was not found 20090521 tbxfroot-309
>
> As I create the KERNCONF for this machine, I want to confirm that this message is
> caused by the fact that APM is shut off in the BIOS, and won't cause any averse
> problems. We're having issues with "timeout" errors on some 50 TYAN server MB's
> since 7-RELEASE regarding the disk media (no matter how many different drives we
> use). So as I attempt to create a STABLE - in the sense that the servers are
> reliable, I want to eliminate any potential issues.
>
> more (informational) "noise" follows:

You can ignore the message, I do think it is due to disabling ACPI in your
BIOS.  Do you have problems when ACPI is enabled?  ACPI is generally going to
be more reliable than !ACPI in the future as it seems many BIOS vendors no
longer test the !ACPI case as much (e.g. I've seen Intel motherboards with
incomplete or incorrect MP Tables because no commercial OS uses the MP Table
anymore).

--
John Baldwin