Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 11:54:40 +0300
From:      sja@tekla.fi (Sakari Jalovaara)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: process monitoring tool (like SysV init)?

>> I was thinking of hacking up a small program that would read a configuration
>> file and then spawn and monitor the health of several child processes based
>> on the contents of the configuration file.
>
> spawnd.  Someone recently offered this to the ports list.  Please read
> the mailing list archive, and adopt this for a port.

Some Mach/BSD distributions also had something like this ("nanny" was it?)

It struck me as a rather nice idea.  No more "ps | grep sendmail ...
kill ... sendmail -bd -q1h" - just do "nanny restart sendmail".

One problem was that the super-daemon needs to know the pids of
the controlled daemons.  They would usually put themselves
in the background, escaping nanny's tender care.  All daemons
would need command line flags that tell them not to fork.
									++sja