Date:      Sat, 01 Jul 1995 22:13:39 -0500
From:      Randy Berndt <rberndt@neosoft.com>
To:        "Mike Perry" <mikepery@mcs.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARGGHH!

At 07:40 PM 7/1/95 -0500, Mike Perry wrote:
>*sigh* My cdrom IS ide!! :'( Would it be possible to just install Freebsd
>with it? If not, how painful would installing Freebsd over
>the internet be with a 28.8kbps(100-and-something with compression) SLIP
>line? Has anyone done it before who can help me?

Just did the install with a 28.8 PPP setup (my provider is a mirror, but
that shouldn't make any difference). I installed everything BUT GNU src and
all X-stuff. Started at a little after midnight, finished before 8am [Don't
know exactly when, I went to bed ;-)]

You do have to do a 'set timeout 0' before calling. It had died on previous
tries without that. Also, I had to 'disable lqr' and 'deny lqr' to get PPP
working with my provider. (That is also in the ppp.conf.sample as a default.
Don't know why it isn't set that way internally).

Side note to the core-team: Thanks for FTP install! It saves all that
waiting for the CD-ROM (but I am still buying it because of the extra stuff
on the CD).

Randy Berndt
[Signature, like every damned freeway in Houston, is "under construction".]