Date:      Tue, 05 Sep 2000 16:39:48 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum (was: RAID)

> > Just about to test and compare the same Atlas IV drives (QUANTUM ATLAS IV 9
> > WLS 0B0B) usings a 2940U2 (aic7890/91) with vinum. I will post the results
> > with the same three SCSI drives in the various adaptors in RAID5 (3 drive
> > config) when done.
>
> Please make sure to use rawio in the tests.  Other things, such as
> bonnie and dd, give better looking results, but they're not very
> related to what happens in practice.

Rawio is largely a seek-time tester, and not particularly representative
of real-world I/O loads either.

To get a feel for how a controller interacts with the buffer cache, you
need to present the load via the filesystem.  I typically use a large
number of bonnie processes (20 or so) working with large datasets (1-10GB)
and then ignore their output and instead monitor the controller's
throughput using devstat.  Other filesystem load generators are probably
worth considering as well, since bonnie's I/O patterns are not very
imaginiative.