Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2006 05:12:51 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        ade@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Excessive startup times following libtool upgrade

On Fri, 2006-Mar-10 20:45:14 +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>I have rebuilt gnucash following the libtool upgrade (admittedly, I
>had to downgrade guile to avoid an slib problem).  After which gnucash
>takes 15 minutes of system time to start (it used to take about a
>minute), issuing a ridiculous number of syscalls (30K/sec).  I've done
>some poking around with ktrace and gdb and believe that the problem is
>libtool trying to load shared libraries.

Following a suggestion in -hackers by <joerg@britannica.bec.de>, I can
confirm that the problem is a bug (lack of FreeBSD support) in libltdl.
The fix is to set libltdl_cv_sys_dlopen_deplibs=yes in both guile and
libltdl.  After replacing libltdl and libguile-ltdl, gnucash startup
has dropped from 15 minutes to 10 seconds.  I'll file a PR this
evening (if no-one has fixed it by then).

--
Peter Jeremy