Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 22:51:44 -0600
From:      David J Duchscher <daved@nostrum.com>
To:        Mark.Andrews@isc.org
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Subject:   Re: Resolver Issues (non valid hostname characters)

On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 09:53  PM, Mark.Andrews@isc.org wrote:

> 	The current implementation fits this.  It handles (accepts)
> 	garbage in and only returns (generates) clean respones to
> 	the application.

Which I would say it not the intention of what being 'generous on what
you accept' to mean.  IMHO, the maxim is to stop exactly what is
happening.  We are being restrictive on what we return to the
application so things are breaking.  I can't change the remote end so
communication does not flow.  From my perspective, you advocating
being restrict on what you will accept and what you will send.

> 	If the resolver died receiving underscore you would something
> 	to complain about.  Currently it just filters out ALL illegal

I can't talk to some hosts on the internet because FreeBSD will not
resolve the host name which over 99% of the host on the Internet will.
I guess that just doesn't matter.

DaveD