Date:      Fri, 08 Dec 2000 14:10:29 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        diz@cafes.net (Mike Eldridge), freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Borg SRM? (was: Lynx test / 2nd attempt)

> > > The most useful thing I see coming out of this is that people
> > > with Adaptec Controllers get paid to do the loader work on the
> > > AlphaBIOS, and the loader is known to work.
> >
> > Why?  Why not just push Compaq to bring back the already-extant SRM
> > support for Adaptec controllers into their other SRM families?
> >
> > > Given that the SRM is confiremed to not zero memory on a warm
> > > boot, I think switching the code is a viable approach.  It's a
> > > bit difficult, but it has a pay-off for Adaptec owners with SRM
> > > machines that can't otherwise boot off the controllers.
> >
> > It's a pointless exercise, and a waste of valuable time.  There are much
> > more important things that could be done on the Alpha than this.
>
> I think working on non-SRM is probably top of the list; there
> are still people manufacturing Alpha equipment that doesn't
> have, and will never have SRM, right?

Wrong.  AlphaBIOS died when NT on Alpha died.

Terry, where have you been, and why are you getting involved in this when
you aren't even vaguely clued on the issues?

> Or do you thik pushing Compaq will work?

It's the *only* thing that's likely to work.

> Like I said elsewhere, I think there is a legal barrier to them
> doing this, because of a contract with Microsoft.  8-(.

Funny that you can get SRM for various machines then that will boot from
the Adaptec controllers, eh?